Monday, February 24, 2014

Day Off?

After sort of being immersed in the constant noise and chaos I elected to take today off for myself. I spent time wandering around Marin, checking out a couple of stores and restaurants.

There's always been a large Hispanic population in San Rafael(the town in Marin County where I grew up). But it's big enough to rate it's own very large super market called Mi Pueblo. It's a very cool store Kind of like H-Mart but for hispanic food. They have several different food kiosks with everything from Tortas to tacos. Very cool store.

For lunch I got almond pressed duck at a place called Yet Wah. It's something that I had on my bucket list for this trip and it's really good. It's a duck breast covered with an almond paste and then cooked so that it's crunchy. I've never seen it on menus in Seattle and it's good.

When I got back to the car I had several missed calls from an Oxnard Califorrnia number which confused me. There was also a garbled voice mail. I had a bad feeling about it but I got in the car anyway. Just as I was in traffic I got a call from my dad; California has strict no hands rules so I quickly pulled into a garage. His call was garbled and I all I heard was Mom, fall firemen. Great. The one day I take off and there's an emergency and they can't get a hold of me.

When I finally reached im It turned out my mom had fallen and he'd tried to call me(the two calls and voicemail). I tried to ask him why I was seeing this odd number but I couldn't get him to comprehend that at all. He just kept saying that my phone was garbled. I need to make sure I keep my ringer on from now on.

Heading there for dinner tonight so we'll see how mom is. Apparently she falls down frequently and since my dad is 81 he can't pick her up himself. It's usually not a lingering problem and I supposed the Fire Dept wouldn't have released her if they thought she's broken something or had had a stroke. I'll see when I get there

No comments:

Post a Comment