Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mr Clean

I started on the cleaning today which feels more like triage than actual cleaning. The worst area was the kitchen so that was mission one.  The floor is linoleum and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the worn condition of the floor or grease or dirt. I'm still not sure I got it all but it looks better. There must have been months worth of grease and splatters on everything, particularly the oven and stove which I managed to clean. I spent two hours in just that small kitchen and I wouldn't really call it clean but less dirty. My parents were pleased though.

The next step was to make some surfaces appear and do the dusting. There was a coffee table with tons of little chatchkies on it and it took 45 minutes to clear it off before I could dust. But now at least it doesn't look so crazy when you first walk in.

I realized just how much work my dad does, he's constantly going downstairs to bring her food etc. But he also does have some routines he likes which I think is good. He go goes to the store several different times a week and I realized it lets him get out of the house. I think he's doing pretty good for an 82 year old guy with a replaced knee and a half dozen stents(knock wood).

I spent some time trying to think of it from their perspective today rather than as an outsider which I really am for now. While I think my dad is fairly happy because he has his routines I think my mom is deeply sad. She's always been a bit depressive; the alchohol adds to it I'm sure. But I realized that there's almost not a moment of the day when she's not yelling or complaining. And while I think that's hard on my dad I also realize that she's trapped in her own body in some way. She had the stroke 15 years ago, her lungs don't work without oxygen tanks and she's got a huge monkey on her back. it's tough. So while I think it's just a drop in the bucket, my being there gives her something to enjoy.

March is both their birthdays so I'm going to to try and surprise them with something, probably a nice meal in a restaurant they like. I feel so guilty and sad for how their late years are. (sigh)

Had an awesome dinner at an Indian Chaat house Had a mushroom dosa and  pani puri. Really delicious. I also mamaged to get the Animal Fries from in And Out that I've literally been dreaming of for weeks.

Lotus Chaat Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment